Today’s yummy recipe, baked beer tofu, can become a vegan side dish, an appetizer or first course. It is a very simple veg dish but with intense flavors thanks to the addition of spices such as smoked paprika or cumin. Tofu is baked in the oven with a mixture of spices, beer, soy sauce and tomato paste. Tofu prepared in this way acquires a lot of flavor and is perfect to be eaten hot as a side dish or as a light first course. You can also enjoy it cold on a sandwich or cut into cubes in addition to salads or with a toothpick with fresh seasonal vegetables for a veg appetizer.
The original recipe is from the talented Polish blogger Jadlonomia.
Baked beer tofu
- 250 g natural tofu
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 100 ml beer
- 1 large spoonful of soy sauce
- 0,5 tablespoon of rice / agave / maple syrup honey if non-vegan version
- 0,5 teaspoon of smoked or sweet paprika
- 0,25 teaspoon of cumin powder (a quarter)
- 0,24 teaspoon of chili powder or cayenne pepper (a quarter)
- 1 pinch of cinnamon
- salt to taste
Instructions baked beer tofu
- Rinse the tofu and then dry it as much as possible with kitchen paper. Cut it into slices about 1.5 cm high and wrap it in other kitchen paper. Place some weight on top to remove as much liquid as possible and in the meantime prepare the sauce.
- Mix the beer with the agave syrup, maple syrup or sweet rice syrup. For the non-vegan version you can use honey.
- Add the tomato paste, soy sauce, cumin powder, smoked or sweet paprika and mix. Also add a pinch of cinnamon and chili powder or cayenne pepper.
- Add a few spoonfuls to a glass pan. Remove the kitchen paper and add the tofu to the pan. Cover it with the rest of the prepared sauce.
- Bake in a preheated static oven at 200 ° C for 25 – 35 minutes or until all the sauce has evaporated. Serve immediately or once cold on top of a sandwich. I decided to eat it with lots of rocket salad, tomato and veg mayo.
Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you are looking for another recipe for a light and healthy lunch, check out my Whipped ricotta and radish sandwich (photo below).