How to prepare some perfect golden and crispy Polish potato hash browns? The secret is to let rest the grated potatoes so that they release the extra juices. The recipe comes from my Polish family. In fact, in traditional Polish cuisine they are called placki ziemniaczane 😀
Placki ziemniaczane – Polish crispy hash browns
- 0.5 kg potato
- 0.5 tbsp or more all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper to taste
- some olive oil to grease the pan
Instructions: Placki ziemniaczane – Polish crispy hash browns
- Wash and peel the potatoes. Grate the potatoes into a bowl using a grater with small holes. Let them rest for 10 minutes without mixing them. While they rest, gently remove the excess water. Past the 10 minutes press the potatoes on the bottom of the bowl to remove some extra moisture.
- A this point add egg, half a tablespoon of flour, a big pinch of salt, a pinch of pepper and stir.
- Heat the pan. Grease it with a some oil. Pour a spoonful of potato batter onto the pan. Use the soon to spread the batter to create a thin pancake. Cook for about 2 – 3 minutes for each side. Cook 4 or 5 pieces at once.
- Take the hash browns out from the pan and place them on a plate over some kitchen paper to remove the excess oil. Continue to use all the batter and served hot as a side dish or as an delicious cold appetizer.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you are looking for another traditional polish recipe with potato you should also check my Soft potato silesian dumplings.