Classic Italian focaccia is a flat bread that is versatile in so many ways. You can slice it and use it as sandwich bread, the dough can be used as a pizza base and you can customize it by adding cherry tomatoes, olives, or garlic. Here you will find a recipe for an easy and quick basic Italian focaccia.
Classic Italian focaccia bread
- 300 ml warm but not boiling water
- 500 g all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 50 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 0.5 tsp salt
- coarse salt oil and rosmary for garnish
- olive oil mixed with some water for garnish
Instructions: Classic Italian focaccia bread
- Pour warm water into the bowl. Add yeast and brown sugar and stir until both dissolve. Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel and let stand at room temperature until bubbly, about 10 minutes.
- Put flour and salt into a bowl and mix together. Pour in the water-yeast mixture and oil and mix together briefly. Let rest 3 min.
- Knead until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Form the dough into a ball and put it into a bowl greased slightly with olive oil. Cover it with plastic wrap. Let the dough rise in a warm spot until it doubles in size. 2 hours for me.
- The rising times are approximate, it can take more or less time depending on the temperature of the environment, the freshness of the yeast, the strength of the flour and other factors not related to the recipe.
- Grease a baking tray with 2 tablespoons of oil. Dump the dough onto the prepared pan and gently stretch the dough into a rectangle using your fingertips (in this way you won’t burst all the air bubbles). Cover the dough loosely with a kitchen towel and let rise again about 30 – 45 minutes.
- Dimple the surface of the dough with your fingertips and gently brush the dough with oil mixed with some water, then sprinkle evenly with some coarse salt and rosmary.
- Preheat the oven to 230 °C. Bake until golden about 10 – 15 minutes.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you are willing to try a focaccia bread with interesting texture check my Italian focaccia with durum wheat flour.