When it’s cold outside the best thing is a cup of hot tea and a soft, spicy, sweet and fragrant cake like Fyriskaka which is Swedish cinnamon cake with apples. It warms your heart with its simplicity, with its smell of baked apples, and its sent of cardamom and cinnamon. It is very tasty once cooled down but even better warm with a scoop of whipped cream next to it.
Fyriskaka – Swedish cinnamon cake with apples
- 500 g apples
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 110 g melted butter
- 140 g all-purpose flour
- 80 g brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 0.5 tsp baking powder
- 8 or more unpeeled cardamom seeds (or 1 tsp cardamom powder)
- 0.5 tsp coriander seeds or coriander powder
Instructions: Fyriskaka – Swedish cinnamon cake with apples
- (This step is optional, you can also use ground spices) In an empty frying pan heat peeled cardamom seeds (the blacks seeds that are inside the green pods) and coriander seeds for a couple of minutes. Place the seeds in a mortar and grind them.
- In a bowl mix 2 tablespoons of brown sugar with the cinnamon. Peel apples and cut them into slices. Put them in the bowl with sugar and toss gently to cover them completely. Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix the melted butter with the remaining sugar.
- Add the coriander/cardamom powder and eggs and mix well with a whisk.
- Add sifted flour and the baking powder and stir in briefly.
- Brush a round baking tray (21-23 cm wide) with very little butter and dust with some flour (you also can use the baking paper). Pour the dough and flatten it gently. Place the apple slices in the batter in a circular formation.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 °C for 30 – 40 minutes.
Serve fyriskaka warm or completely cooled down.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you are looking for another idea with apples check my Cinnamon and ginger apple tart. (foto below)