This savory puff pastry tart with asparagus, mushrooms and ricotta cheese is quick and easy to prepare. The soft and delicate filling has a distinct flavor of mushrooms and spices such as thyme and oregano while asparagus adds extra crunchiness. Excellent both cold and lukewarm to serve as a main dish or as a second course accompanied by a mixed salad.
Puff pastry asparagus and mushroom tart
- 1 sheet of round puff pastry
- 500 g of champignon mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 spoonful of butter
- salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 500 g of thin green asparagus
- 400 g of ricotta cheese
- 2 medium eggs
- 3 spoons of parmesan
- 2 tablespoons of breadcrumbs
- olive oil
- 1 handful of almonds
Instructions puff pastry asparagus and mushroom tart
- Drain the ricotta a few hours before or overnight to remove the excess liquid.
- For this recipe I used thin and very tender green asparagus. If you want to use thicker asparagus I recommend removing the hard parts and blanching them for 5 minutes.
- In a large pan pour the oil and add butter. Turn on the heat and add cleaned and sliced champignon mushrooms. Stir only when the mushrooms have browned underneath. Add salt, thyme and oregano and continue cooking until browned and flavourful. Then turn off the heat and set aside.
- In a bowl place ricotta cheese, eggs, grated parmesan, breadcrumbs and salt to taste. Stir vigorously and add the mushrooms.
- Line a 20 – 22 cm round baking tray with parchment paper. Lay the puff pastry on top and fill it with the prepared filling.
- Take the asparagus and clean it by discarding the hard parts. Then make them shorter by cutting away a few centimeters of asparagus. Take the cut parts and add them to the ricotta filling.
- Place the rest of the asparagus over the filling with the tips facing the center. Press lightly to make them stick to the filling. Take the flaps of the puff pastry and cover the filling.
- Bake in the preheated static oven at 180 °C for 30 minutes. Then open the oven, add a drizzle of oil and a pinch of salt on top of the asparagus. Raise the temperature in the oven to 200 ° C and continue baking for another 15 – 20 minutes or until the asparagus is tender but still crunchy.
Remove from the oven, let it cool down and add a handful of chopped almonds before serving. To be kept in the refrigerator and consumed within 24 hours.
lot of love. B.
P.S. If you like savory pies with puff pastry and mushrooms check also my recipe for Leek and mushroom puff pastry pie.