These cardamom and lemon Christmas cookies are sweet and with the strong spiced scent and flavor. They are rich in honey and spices such as ginger, cinnamon and cardamom which makes them very fragrant and slightly spicy. They are also enriched with lemon zest and a sweet, but also slightly sour glaze prepared with powdered sugar and lemon juice. A perfect combination of sweet, sour and spicy.
Original recipe: topwithcinnamon.
Cardamom and lemon Christmas cookies
- 80 g butter
- 100 g cane sugar
- 1 large pinch of salt
- 250 g all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp of baking powder
- 2 tsp cardamom
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 lemon (zest)
- 75 g honey
- 1 egg
- 240 g powdered sugar
- 8 tbsp lemon juice
Instructions cardamom and lemon Christmas cookies
- For this recipe I used the VOILÀ COOKIE – WINTER HOLIDAY cookie mould made by Silikomart. If you do not have this type of mould, you can use classic cookie cutters and decorate them to your liking.
- Place flour, butter and sugar in a robot equipped with blades. Also add tlemon zest, cardamom, cinnamon and powdered ginger. Add a nice pinch of salt and barely half a teaspoon of baking powder. Blend until you get a sand-like mixture. Otherwise, crumble the butter with your finger tips or a fork into the flour mix.
- Add honey and an egg and work briefly until all the ingredients are well blended. Wrap in plastic wrap or place in a tight container with a lid. Place it in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours. My pastry dough has been in the refrigerator for 24 hours. You can keep it in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Take the dough from the fridge, divide into 2 and roll it out with a rolling pin to a thickness of 3 mm. Since the pastry with honey is quite sticky, I suggest you help yourself with a some flour or roll out the dough between two sheets of baking paper.
Note from the author of this recipe
- I just want to tell you that I really appreciate that you have decided to prepare my recipe. If you like it, I would be very happy and it could be a huge help for me if you follow me on my official social channel such as instagram where I publish every time a new recipe comes out. To become my follower just search for foodohfood in your instagram or click on this link: https://www.instagram.com/foodohfood/ and press Follow. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Barbara. ^_^
- As I mentioned previously, you can cut out your cookies using the cookie cutter. Place them to a baking sheet covered with baking paper.
- If you use the mould I used, brush it with melted butter and dust lightly with a some flour.
- Cut out your cookies by placing the mould in the center and pressing it down. Move it slightly left and right to make sure the cookies are well cut. Remove the excess pastry dough with a sharp knife.
- Bake in a preheated static oven at 160 – 170 ° C for 15 – 20 minutes. The cooking time depends on the thickness of the cookies and the type of mould used.
- Once baked take them out of the oven, wait 5 minutes then remove the mould while the cookies are still soft and hot. It is easier to remove the cookies when they are freshly prepared as the dough with honey is quite sticky. If any cookie stick to the mould, just push them out gently with a tip of a spoon.
- Once cold, decorate the cookies with the glaze prepared with powdered sugar mixed with lemon juice.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you are looking for another type of Christmas cookies, check out my Dark chocolate and orange Christmas cookies (photo below) or Christmas orange and chocolate cookies with gianduia cream.