A delicious cinnamon and ginger apple tart with sliced apples laid on a bed of homemade spiced apple jam. Simple yet beautiful.
Cinnamon and ginger apple tart
- 250 g all-purpose flour
- 140 g very cold butter put in the freezer for 10 minutes
- 1 egg yolk
- 50 g powdered sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 8 medium apples 4 for the filling and 4 for the decoration
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp powdered ginger
- 0.25 tsp nutmeg
- 0.5 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract optional
- 0.5 lemon only the juice
- some peach or apricot jam
Instructions cinnamon and ginger apple tart
- Peel 4 apples, discard the core and cut them into small pieces. Put them in a frying pan with the cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, sugar, vanilla extract and 1 teaspoon of water. Turn on the heat, cover and cook over low heat. After a few minutes mash the apples with a fork and proceed with cooking until they become asimilar to a jam. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- Peel 4 apples. Divide each apple into 4 pieces and remove the core. Cut them finely into half-moon slices and place them in a bowl full of cold water and the lemon juice.
Instructions for the tart
- In a bowl pour the flour and add the cold butter grated on a grater with large holes. Add the yolk, powdered sugar and a pinch of salt. Knead the dough briefly until it becomes smooth and homogeneous. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest for half an hour in the refrigerator.
- Roll out the dough with a rolling pin to a thickness of 3 – 5 mm. Roll the pastry on the rolling pin and transfer to a round baking pan, previously greased and sprinkled with some flour. Transfer the dough and gently press it with your hands into the pan. Prick the bottom with a fork.
- Cover the pastry with apple jam. Drain the floating slices and wipe them gently with a paper towel. Begin to cover the jam with apple slices overlapping each other in a circular way, starting from the edge towards the center. When it is no longer possible to continue, place 2 slices of apple in the center facing each other.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 210 – 220°C for 15 minutes. After this time turn down the oven to 180°C and cook for another 10 minutes.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
Once the tart is lukewarm brush the apples with some heated peach jam mixed with 1 tablespoon of water. Let cool completely and serve.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you are looking for another idea with apples check my Naked apple layer cake with maple syrup frosting. (foto below)