Sauteed green peppers (Italian friggitelli) and potatoes are an easy and quick vegetable side dish to prepare all year round. I know that if you are reading this post in English you’re probably can’t get them easily in almost every supermarket like we do here in Italy. No problem, this method of cooking can be easily adapted to your local green peppers. The only reccomendation is that they need to be mild in flavour like bell peppers and not spicy. This side dish is perfect with second courses of fish or meat, barbecues but also to create a fabulous filling to your savory pies or grilled cheese sandwich.
Sauteed potatoes with green peppers (Italian friggitelli)
- 450 g mild green peppers (I used Italian friggitelli)
- 320 g small potatoes
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- ½-1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 120 ml water
Instructions sauteed potatoes with green peppers (Italian friggitelli)
- Prepare your vegetables. Peel and wash the potatoes and then divide them into wedges. Cut and discard the stalk and the cup of the peppers (the hard top). Rub the chilli pepper between your hands to release the seeds inside, then flip and shake to empty vegetable. This step is optional, we simply prefer cooked peppers without seeds.
- In a large pan pour the oil and turn on the flame. Add the peppers, potatoes, a sprig of romarino and 1 peeled clove of garlic. Cook over high heat for a couple of minutes, stirring often until both the potatoes and the friggitelli begin to brown delicately, sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Now add salt and half a cup of water. Lower the heat, cover with the lid and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes. After this time, remove the lid and taste the potatoes that should be tender. If the potatoes are not cooked, add a little more water and cook with the lid on as long as necessary. If, on the other hand, the potatoes are tender, continue cooking over high heat to remove excess water and finish cooking. Serve immediately.
Note from the author of this recipe
- I just want to tell you that I really appreciate that you have decided to prepare my recipe. If you like it, I would be very happy and it could be a huge help for me if you follow me on my official social channel such as instagram where I publish every time a new recipe comes out. To become my follower just search for foodohfood in your instagram or click on this link: https://www.instagram.com/foodohfood/ and press Follow. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Barbara. ^_^
Store in the fridge and eat within a couple of days.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you like simple vegetable side dishes, check out my recipe for Oven roasted potatoes, carrots and zucchini with spieces (photo below) and Roasted potatoes and mushrooms with soy sauce (photo below).