These easy vegetarian potato cutlets stuffed with mushrooms and spinach are a simple and delicious side dish. With a few simple ingredients you can make these cutlets cooked in a frying pan. Ready in a short time, they can become a side dish or even a main dish ideal for the whole family. The filling is juicy and tasty while the potato part is soft but slightly crunchy on the outside. I flavored the potatoes with fresh basil but you can vary the recipe with sage, thyme or rosemary. If you like, add a cube of cheese, for example provolone, at the center of the filling for a melted heart. It is a vegetarian dish different from the usual cutlets with ham and cheese but just as tasty.
These stuffed cutlets are egg-free but use butter. If you prefer a vegan version just replace the butter with oil and use vegan cheese or not use it at all.
Easy vegetarian potato cutlets
- 2 kg yellow potatoes
- 500 g champignon mushrooms
- 2 tbsp butter
- 200 g baby spinach
- salt and pepper to taste
- 150 g all-purpose flour or more
- 2 large handfuls of fresh basil
- olive oil
Easy vegetarian potato cutlets recipe
- Wash, peel and bring 2 kilos of potatoes to the boil in plenty of salted water. I recommend using non-floury yellow potatoes that keep thei texture firm.
- Drain the potatoes and mash them while still hot.
Instructions stuffing with mushrooms
- Meanwhile, prepare the stuffing. Heat the pan and add two tablespoons of butter. Add chopped champignon mushrooms and cook over medium-high heat. Move the mushrooms as little as possible to keep them from releasing water. As soon as you see that they turn golden on one side, add salt and pepper and stir to cook further.
- Taste and adjust with more salt and pepper if necessary. Add 200 g of baby spinach and mix.
- Cook for a couple of minutes until the baby spinach wilt. Turn off the heat and set aside to cool.
Preparation of vegetarian stuffed cutlets
- Add 150g of flour to your mashed potatoes. Work the dough briefly until it absorbs the flour. If the dough is too sticky, add more. Also add the chopped fresh basil or other spice or herb of your liking.
- Flour the work space and your hands well, take a part of the dough and create a ball the size of a small mandarin. Squeeze it and with your fingertips create a small disk. Place about a tablespoon of the mushroom filling in the center of the dough.
- Now close in a crescent shape, then press where the closure is and work with your hands to create a cutlet. Use this method to make all of your cutlets. Place them on a lightly floured surface and continue in this way until you finish all the dough and the filling.
Note from the author of this recipe
- While you are preparing your cutlets I just want to tell you that I really appreciate that you have decided to prepare my recipe. If you like it, I would be delighted and it could be a huge help for me if you follow me on my official social channel such as instagram where I publish every time a new recipe comes out. To become my follower just search for foodohfood in your instagram or click on this link: https://www.instagram.com/foodohfood/ and press Follow. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Barbara. ^_^
You can serve this dish with a vegetable stew such as Italian caponata or different types of grilled vegetables.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you like this cutlet recipe I also recommend my Italian potato cake with spinach (photo below).