This creamy potato and lentil stew is a hot, easy, rustic vegetarian dish with an intense flavor. The combination of different spices, legumes and veggies makes it perfect for cold days when we need a healthy but also tasty dish. Add some water when you heat it to enjoy it for several days. For best results, be sure to add a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil on top.
Recipe modified from Lentil and Potato Stew.
Creamy lentil and potato stew
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 500 g potatoes
- 250 g carrots (cut into rings)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 3 tsp of dry rosemary
- 1 tsp of salt
- black pepper to taste
- ½ tsp of paprika
- ¼ tsp of hot chili pepper powder or cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar
- 750 ml of vegetable stock (hot)
- 150 g of lentils
- 1 tsp of honey
- 1 tsp of mustard
- 1 tsp of dried thyme
- 2 large handfuls of arugula
Instructions creamy lentil and potato stew
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan. Add chopped onion and cook it for a couple of minutes until it becomes slightly translucent and soft. Add diced potatoes and sliced carrots and cook for another five minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add crushed garlic and stir. Also add rosemary and cook for another minute. Now add salt, pepper, paprika and hot chili pepper (I used cayenne pepper). Mix and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Then pour the apple cider vinegar and mix. Add vegetable broth and lentils. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat, put on the lid and cook over medium-low heat for 20 – 30 minutes. The lentils should become soft and the potatoes begin to dissolve to create creamy texture. Gradually add some hot water if the stew becomes thick too quickly.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add mustard, honey, thyme and arugula. Stir to mix the ingredients and soften the arugula.
Stir to mix the ingredients and soften the arugula. Serve hot with a drizzle of raw olive oil.
Keep in the fridge up to 3 days.
lot of love. B.