These soft potato Silesian dumplings have a particular shape and they come from the Polish tradition. Simple and genuine contain very few ingredients and are quick and easy to prepare. Their shape with a dimple in the middle make them an excellent side dish for meals with meat sauce, cheese or other type of creamy sauces.
Soft potato silesian dumplings
- 1.5 kg of potatoes
- 1 egg
- 0.25 portion of potato starch (see instructions)
- salt to taste
Instructions: Soft potato silesian dumplings
- Boil peeled potatoes in salted water. Drain, wait until they are slightly dooled down then mash until smooth. Set aside until they are cold.
- The next step is the same for any pot or bowl that you are going to use. Put mashed potatoes into a bowl, press and level potatoes by hand. Using a knife divide into 4 equal parts.
- With the spoon take 1/4 of boiled potatoes and place on top of other 3/4. Put potato starch into the hole that you have created and fill it entirely up to the height of the rest of potatoes. Then add an egg and a pinch of salt.
- Mix well until all ingredients are incorporated. Lightly flour your hands. Take a bit of dough and make a ball of a size of a walnut. Make a dimple in the center of the ball by using your knuckle of finger. Set aside on a lightly floured surface and do the same with the rest of the dough. If you feel that the dough is too feeble add more potato starch.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Place some part of the dumplings into the water and cook them for 3 – 5 minutes. The cooking time depends on the quality of the potatoes. Taste the gnocchi while cooking, they should be tender but compact. Drain and set aside. Allow to cool slightly before serving.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you love dumpling recipes you should try my Gnocchi with red chicory and blue cheese.