Creamy polenta with beer and mushroom sauce is a hot, rich and delicious vegetarian main dish. It is an excellent single dish to prepare on cold autumn days or for the beginning of winter. It is a easy recipe that enhances the flavor of the mixed mushrooms thanks to the addition of beer, rosemary and garlic. Being a hearty dish, you can serve it as a single main dish or in mini portions as a tasty appetizer.
Creamy polenta with beer sauce and mushrooms
- 150 g instant polenta
- 4 cups water (about 960 ml)
- ½-¾ tsp salt
- 1,5 tbsp butter
Beer and mushroom sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 500-600 g of mixed fresh mushrooms (weight after cleaning)
- 2-4 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp butter
- ½ tsp of dried rosemary
- 120 ml pale lager beer
- 240 ml vegetable stock
- 1 tsp potato starch (generous)
- salt and pepper to taste (I used ½ teaspoon of salt)
Instructions Creamy polenta with beer sauce and mushrooms
- Bring water with salt to a boil in a medium-sized pan. Pour the instant polenta into the water with a slow, steady stream, stirring continuously with the hand whisk. Make sure everything is mixed together and that there are no lumps. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes or according to the instructions on the box. Stir often. It will be cooked when it is creamy and has absorbed all the liquid. Finally add the butter, mix and set aside covered.
- Heat the olive oil in a non-stick pan. Add the cleaned and sliced mixed mushrooms. Cook the mushrooms without mixing them for a couple of minutes. When you see that they are starting to brown on one side, add the peeled and crushed garlic. Also add the butter and rosemary.
- Mix well, cook for another couple of minutes, then add salt and pepper. When the mushrooms have released all their liquid and begin to become golden brown, raise the heat and add the beer. Cook over high heat for a couple of minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix together the vegetable broth and potato starch then add them to the mushrooms. Reduce the heat and cook over a low heat, stirring constantly, for a few more minutes or until the sauce thickens. Season with additional salt and pepper if necessary. Remove from the heat.
- Divide the polenta between plates or bowls. Serve immediately with the beer sauce and mushrooms.
Note from the author of this recipe
- I just want to tell you that I really appreciate that you have decided to prepare my recipe. If you like it, I would be very happy and it could be a huge help for me if you follow me on my official social channel such as instagram where I publish every time a new recipe comes out. To become my follower just search for foodohfood in your instagram or click on this link: https://www.instagram.com/foodohfood/ and press Follow. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Barbara. ^_^
Store the sauce in the refrigerator and consume it within a day.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you are looking for some other recipes with mushrooms I recommend my Roasted potatoes and mushrooms with soy sauce (photo below) or Potato cutlets stuffed with mushrooms and spinach (photo below).