This classic Italian potato cake (gateau) is enriched with onion, olives, capers and tomatoes stew. Rich and fragrant vegetarian main dish.
Potato cake with onion and olive stew
- 1 kg potato
- 3 medium eggs
- bread crumbs
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 onions I used 2 white and 1 red onion
- 4 to mato I used San Marzano
- 1 handful pitted green olives
- 1 tsp capers in salt
- 0.5 cup red wine
- 1 cup water
- 40 g grated pecorino cheese
Instructions: Potato cake with onion and olive stew
- Prepare the stew by placing sliced onions, tomatoes (divided into 4), glass of water, half of a glass of red wine, pinch of pepper, generous pinch of salt and about 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a pan.
- Turn the heat on and cook the stew for about 20 minutes until the liquid becomes dense and the tomatoes are soft. Add (previously rinsed from salt ) cappers and olives and cook for another 5 minutes. Set aside to let it cool down. If you prefer remove tomato’s skins.
- Rinse the potatoes and cook them skin off in a pan full of salty water. Drain and pass through potato mashher. Add 2 eggs, a pinch of salt, and grated pecorino cheese.
- Grease a round baking pan with some olive oil and dust with breadcrumbs. Spread half the potato mixture on the bottom and on the sides of the pan.
- Add the filling and cover it with the second part of potato mash. Brush the top with some olive oil and coat with a thin layer of bread crumbs. Bake in the preheated static oven at 200 °C for about 20 – 25 minutes. Take out from the oven and let cool down slightly before serving.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you are looking for some more potato cake recipes check my Italian potato cake with mushroom-mozarella filling and Baked mashed potatoes with white bean puree.