Why buy a pre-packaged product when you can prepare soft and tasty wholemeal burger buns in your kitchen? These simple butter and milk buns are very fluffy and rich in flavor. Perfect to be cut in half and roasted in a pan, oven or toaster and then filled with classic meat burgers or delicious vegetarian or vegan burgers. If burgers are not your favorite dish, these buns can be used as wholemeal snack for children in both sweet and savory versions.
Soft wholemeal burger buns
- 70 g butter I used Lurpak butter
- 240 ml milk
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 3 g active dry yeast
- 1 egg
- 120 g wholemeal flour
- 250 g all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- white or black sesame seeds optional
- q.s. of melted butter for the surface of the buns
Instructions soft wholemeal burger buns
- For this recipe I used butter made by Lurpak.
- Melt the butter over low heat along with the honey and milk. Let it cool down, pour it into a bowl and add active dry yeast. Stir and let it puff for at least 5 minutes.
- Add flour and stir then add the egg and salt. Mix well and knead by hand or with the mixer with a hook for 8 – 10 minutes. The dough will be quite sticky.
- Lightly grease a bowl with olive oil and transfer the mixture. Cover the bowl with cotton cloth and let it rise until the dough doubles in volume.
- The rising times for these buns are approximate. It can take more or less time depending on the temperature of the environment, the freshness of the yeast, the strength of the flour and other factors not related to the recipe.
- Deflate the dough and divide it into 8 similar pieces. Create round buns and place them on a baking sheet covered with baking paper. At this point you should add white or black sesame seeds. I forgot to do it before taking the picture. Add a teaspoon of seeds over a small plate and press the lower surface of the bun over them to make them stick well. Continue in this way with all the buns. Cover them with a cotton cloth and let them rise for another hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180 ° C. Take a few tablespoons of melted butter and brush your buns before putting them in the oven. Cook for about 20 – 25 minutes.
- As soon as you them out of the oven, brush them again with melted butter.
P.S. If you are looking for a fabulous veg burger recipe to use with these buns try my Falafel burgers – vegetarian hamburgers.