Today I would like to reccomend this millet tabbouleh which is a fresh millet salad. For those who do not know tabbouleh, it is a Levantine vegetarian salad served as an appetizer at the beginning of the meal. While the original recipe requires use of bulgur there are many varieties that allow to use rice, cooked barley, millet or just vegetables. Fresh and tasty, this salad is perfect summer appetizer or a side dish.
Millet tabbouleh – fresh and fragrant millet salad
- 1 cup millet
- 2 medium cucumber
- 1 medium tomato
- 0.5 medium red onion
- 10 leaves or more mint
- 1 handful parsley
- 0.5 lemon or more (only the juice)
- 0.5 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt to taste
- hot water + red wine vinegar
Instructions: Millet tabbouleh – fresh millet salad
- Cut onion in half and then slice it thinly. Put onion in a bowl, cover it with some hot water and a few splashes of vinegar. Set aside for 5 – 10 minutes then drain and let it cool down completely.
- Rinse millet under cold water and put it in a pot. Add 2 cups of water and a half of a teaspoon of salt. Cook on low – medium heat for 15 to 18 minutes without stirring the millet but allowing it to absorb all the water. Turn off the flame, stir and cool down completely.
- Add peeled and dieced cucumbers, chopped tomatoes (discard the seeds), minced parsley and mint, onion, lemon juice, red wine vinegar and olive oil.
- Stir, taste, adjust with salt if necessary.
Put in a bowl and let rest for half an hour so that all the flavours can blend and then serve.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you are looking for another recipe for fresh summer salad try my Tomato and melon savory salad. (foto below)