If like me you love hard and not too sweet cookies, these Italian biscotti (cantucci) with almonds and Christmas spices are perfect for you. I modified the traditional cantuccini recipe by adding some olive oil and Christmas spices such as cinnamon, ginger, cardamom and nutmeg. The spices make these biscotti very aromatic and together with almonds they are perfect to be munched or dipped in hot tea during cold winter days. Like most spiced biscotti you can vary them according to your preferences or using a store bought spice mix such as the one for mulled wine or Chinese five-spice powder. They are simple and quick Christmas cookies as they do not require any type of blender or mixer but simply a bowl and a spoon.
Italian biscotti Cantucci with almonds and spices
- 280 g all-purpose flour
- 150 g granulated sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- ½ tsp of baking powder
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 1 tsp of powdered ginger
- 1 tsp of powdered cardamom
- ¼ tsp of nutmeg
- 1 pinch of ground pepper
- 1 pinch of powdered star anise or cloves
- 3 small or 2 medium eggs
- 20 ml of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 130 g almonds with the skin on
Instructions Italian biscotti Cantucci with almonds and spices
- In a bowl mix flour with sugar, half a teaspoon of baking powder and a pinch of salt. Add a generous teaspoon of ground ginger, cinnamon and cardamom. Also add some ground pepper and a quarter teaspoon of nutmeg and a pinch of powdered star anise. Now add the eggs, 20 ml of extra virgin olive oil and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- Knead the dough until there are no visible traces of flour. Add almonds and knead briefly, just to mix everything together. The dough could be sticky.
- Divide the dough in two and with the help of some flour on your hands create two long loaves. Place them on a baking sheet covered with baking paper.
Note from the author of this recipe
- I just want to tell you that I really appreciate that you have decided to prepare my recipe. If you like it, I would be very happy and it could be a huge help for me if you follow me on my official social channel such as instagram where I publish every time a new recipe comes out. To become my follower just search for foodohfood in your instagram or click on this link: https://www.instagram.com/foodohfood/ and press Follow. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Barbara. ^_^
- Bake in a preheated static oven at 180 ° C for 15 minutes. After this time, remove the pan and wait a few minutes so as not to burn yourself. Using a serrated knife cut each loaf into 1.5 – 2 centimeters wide biscotti. Meanwhile, lower the temperature in the oven to 160 ° C.
- Arrange them on the baking tray with the cut side up and bake for 10 minutes. Flip and proceed with baking, always at 160 °C, for another 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let them cool completely. If you want to make these biscotti even more Christmassy you can decorate them with melted gianduia chocolate.
Store in a closed container.
lot of love. B.