Soft and delicate, this classic Italian sponge cake is simply perfect. Perfect to be filled or decorated with butter creams or soaked with different types of syrups. It does not crumble, it is not dry but light and spongy and never colapse. You only need four ingredients to make it. It is baked without the addition of baking powder and without the addition of butter or oil. This sponge cake rises thanks to the careful and correct whipping the eggs and then delicate mixing with the flour. It is a perfect base for birthday cakes, drip cakes or light layered cakes.
Classic Italian sponge cake – soft and delicate
- 5 medium eggs at room temperature
- 160 g white sugar
- 110 g all-purpose flour
- 50 g corn or potato starch
Perfect sponge cake instructions
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks and whisk them until stiff.
- Gradually, spoon by spoon, add the sugar, beating on medium-low speed after each addition. Finally add the yolks, always one at a time, while continuing to whisk.
- Sift the flour and starch into the egg mixture. Gently mix with a spatula, spoon or whisk to combine the ingredients. Do not use the mixer but slow movements from bottom to top until all the ingredients are well blended.
- Line the bottom of a springform pan with a diameter of 23 – 25 cm with baking paper. You don't have to grease the sides of the pan. Pour the batter into the pan and level it gently. Bake in the static oven at 160 – 170 ºC for about 35 – 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the sponge cake comes out clean.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and let it cool before removing it from the pan. Separate the sides of the cake with a sharp paring knife before opening the springform. Turn upside down and remove the parchment paper and leave to cool completely.
Note from the author of this recipe
- I just want to tell you that I really appreciate that you have decided to prepare my recipe. If you like it, I would be very happy and it could be a huge help for me if you follow me on my official social channel such as instagram where I publish every time a new recipe comes out. To become my follower just search for foodohfood in your instagram or click on this link: https://www.instagram.com/foodohfood/ and press Follow. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Barbara. ^_^
Store at a room temperature wraped in plastic wrap.
lot of love. B.