It’s been a while since I’ve been asked to post a simple chocolate cake that is perfect both as a base cake and as a dessert or snack and this recipe with hot water in the batter is just like that. This cake is easy, quick to prepare, so delicious and so moist. It is perfect for both beeing wet with syrups or filled with butter cream or cream cheese frosting. The chocolate flavor is very pronounced so it is also perfect as a snack followed by a cup of tea or latte. The preparation is really simple. All you have to do is to mix the dry ingredients and then add the wet ones and voilà, the batter is ready for baking.
Hot water chocolate cake
- 160 g of all-purpose flour
- 50 g of dark cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 0.5 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 pinch of salt
- 100 g of brown sugar
- 100 g of white sugar
- 1 teaspoon of instant coffee optional
- 120 ml of milk or vegetable milk
- 70 ml of sunflower oil
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 120 ml of boiling water
Instructions hot water chocolate cake
- Sift flour, dark cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda into a bowl. Add salt, two types of sugar and instant coffee powder. The coffee powder is an optional ingredient that makes the chocolate flavor even more fragrant.
- Add egg, oil, milk and vanilla extract and mix briefly with a whisk just to combine the ingredients.
- At this point add boiling water and mix well with a whisk until the sugar dissolves completely and there are no visible lumps of flour. The batter will be quite liquid but do not add more flour.
- Line the bottom of the 18 cm round pan with a circle of parchment paper. Grease the rest of the pan with some butter and sprinkle with flour. If by chance you use the springform pan, I recommend taking a sheet of aluminum foil and covering the outide bottom edge of the pan. Seal the pan well as the batter is very liquid and may drip while baking.
- Bake the cake in a preheated static oven at 170 ° C for about 1 hour or until the toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and wait 5 minutes. Flip the cake over the cooling rack to pop it out of the pan. Let it cool down completely before slicing or decorating.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you’re looking for another simple recipe with a rich chocolate flavor check out my Mexican chocolate Tres Leches cake. (photo below)