This Italian potato cake (gateau) acquires a soft consistency thanks to the addition of previously beaten, until they become frothy and fluffy, eggs. The filling can vary according to your preferences.
Italian potato cake with mushroom-mozarella filling
- 1 kg potatoes
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp potato starch or flour
- 2 125 g each mozzarella cheese
- 200 g champignon mushrooms
- 1 tsp thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 50 g grated Parmesan cheese
Instructions: Italian potato cake with mushroom-mozarella filling
- Prepare round baking dish. Grease it lightly with oil and sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- In a pan heat about 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the previously cleaned and sliced mushrooms. Add salt and pepper and dried thyme. Cook the mushrooms over medium – high heat, stirring occasionally, until they become soft and lightly browned. Turn off the heat and set aside to cool them down.
- Wash, peel and boil the potatoes in a pot of salted water. Mash them while still to create the smooth puree.
- In a bowl put the cold puree, add potato starch, grated Parmesan cheese (except 1 tablespoon), salt and pepper.
- In another pan, beat eggs with electric mixer, or by hand with a whisk, until they are light and frothy.
- Add the eggs into the mix of potatoes and gently stir to incorporated. In the case where the mixture is too liquid regulated with the grated bread or starch.
- Divide the potato mixture in the 2. Pour the mixture into the baking dish and flatten it slightly. Place over the cooked mushrooms and sliced mozzarella.
- Cover with the second part of the potatoes. Sprinkle the pie with the remaining cheese and some bread crumbs.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake in a preheated oven at 200 ° C for about 45 minutes. Discard the foil and cook for another 15 minutes at 220 ° C or until the top is cold before serving.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you are looking for another traditional recipe with potatoes check my Polish Potato babka.