If you are looking for a recipe for a simple but super delicious dessert, I think these sticky and tart lemon bars are perfect for you. The recipe is super easy, with few ingredients and it is perfect when you need a great effect dessert that has a strong lemon flavour.
This dessert consists of a layer o buttery crust with melted butter and icing sugar to be prepared easily without the need to let it rest in the refrigerator. The top is a very soft cake like layer with a lot of juice and grated lemon zest. Together with the base it creates a sweet and sticky dessert but at the same time fresh and slightly tart. Adding fresh fruit and a layer of powdered sugar is the famous cherry on top. This dessert is perfect for different occasions including Mother’s Day, Women’s Day, communions, birthdays, family celebrations or for those who just love the strong flavor of lemon and want something sweet and delicious.
Sticky and tart lemon bars
- 200 g all-purpose flour
- 100 g powdered sugar
- 160 g melted butter
Soft lemon layer
- 3 eggs at room temperature
- 215 g white sugar
- 30 g all-purpose flour
- 3 lemons (only the zest) I used organic lemons
- 90 ml lemon juice
- powdered sugar and fresh fruit for garnish
Preparation of sticky and tart lemon bars
- In a bowl, mix 200 g of flour and 100 g of powdered sugar. Add 160 g of melted butter and stir briefly to mix all the ingredients.
- Create a ball of dough then crumble it on a 20 x 30 cm rectangular pan covered with baking paper.
- Use a spoon, bottom of a glass or simply your fingertips to flatten the dough. Prick it with a fork and in the meantime preheat the oven.
- Bake the cake base in a preheated static oven at 180 ° C for about 15 minutes. While the base is baking, prepare the lemon layer.
- Beat 3 whole eggs, gradually adding 215 of sugar. Beat for at least 5 minutes until the eggs double in volume and become very light and frothy.
- Now add 90 ml of lemon juice and lemon zest of 3 lemons. Mix on low speed with the blender.
- Turn off the mixer and add a quarter of a cup (30 g) of sifted flour. Incorporate it gently with a whisk.
Note from the author of this recipe
- While you are preparing your dessert I just want to tell you that I really appreciate that you have decided to prepare my recipe. If you like it, I would be delighted and it could be a huge help for me if you follow me on my official social channel such as instagram where I publish every time a new recipe comes out. To become my follower just search for foodohfood in your instagram or click on this link: https://www.instagram.com/foodohfood/ and press Follow. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Barbara. ^_^
Lemon bars – baking time
- As soon as your base is baked carefully remove it from the oven. Pour your lemon mixture over the hot pastry and return the pan to the oven.
- Bake by lowering the temperature to 160 – 170 ° for about 30 minutes. The lemon layer will swell slightly and turn a beautiful golden color.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let it cool completely. Once the cake is cold and you intend to serve it, take it out of the pan using baking paper. Sprinkle it with plenty of powdered sugar and then cut into portions. Before serving, add fresh fruit to taste such as strawberries, raspberries, blueberries or peaches.
This dessert becomes even better after few hours or even the next day so I recommend giving it time to rest before serving even if it is not strictly necessary. To be kept at room temperature.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you like quick and easy desserts, check out my recipe for Creamy homamade vanilla pudding (photo below).