This Polish potato babka (babka ziemniaczana) is a version of the traditional savory potato cake. This savory cake is different from the traditional Italian potato gateau as its mixture is composed of grated raw potatoes instead of cooked ones. It contains pieces of crispy bacon, cooked earlier in a frying pan and then added to the potato mixture to give more flavor to this cake.
- 100 g of bacon
- 1 kg potatoes
- 0.5 tsp dried marjoram
- 3 tbsp or more flour
- 2 eggs
- 0.5 garlic clove optional
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 pinch or more of pepper
Instructions: Polish potato babka
- In a frying pan fry diced bacon with a little olive oil until it becomes crispy. Set aside.
- Wash and peel the potatoes. Grate raw potatoes into a bowl on a grater with small holes. Add bacon, eggs, flour, marjoram and salt. If you prefer add also some finely chopped garlic. Mix all the ingredients well.
- Pour the mixture into a silicone loaf tin or a regular one lined with parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to 180 °C and bake the cake for 1.15 to 1.30 hours. Once cooked wait for it to cool down slightly before cutting.
This delicious potato cake is also excellent cold or heated in a frying pan the next day.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you are looking for some more traditional Polish recipes with potatoes check my Polish potato and ricotta stuffed pierogi. (foto below)