This oven roasted eggplant shakshuka recipe is for lovers of eggs cooked together with red tomato sauce. The aubergines are baked in the oven until golden and then added to the sauce spiced with cumin and paprika. In this recipe the egg yolk remain creamy and soft. Easy dish with eggs perfect to be served with bruschetta or fresh sourdough bread.
Oven roasted eggplant shakshuka
- 800 g of eggplants
- a few tablespoons of olive oil
The tomato sauce
- 1 small onion or a few spring onions
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 stick of celery
- 1/4 cup of white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 700 ml of tomato sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 large eggs
- chopped parsley
Instructions oven roasted eggplant shakshuka
- Cut the eggplants into cubes. Sprinkle them with about two tablespoons of salt, stir and leave to drain over a large colander for at least 30 minutes. After this time, rinse under cold water and dry thoroughly with kitchen paper. Sprinkle with 2 – 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and mix well to cover them completely. Place on a baking sheet covered with baking paper and bake in a static oven at 200 – 220 ° C for 30 – 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- In a large pan heat a tablespoon of oil. Add sliced celery stalk and onion and cook over low heat until the onion becomes translucent for about 5 minutes. Add minced garlic and cook for another minute.
- At this point add sugar, cumin and paprika and then cook, stirring for another minute. Raise the heat and deglaze the pan by adding a quarter of a cup of white wine.
- At this point add the aubergine and finally the tomato sauce.
- Stir, cover with the lid and cook over low heat for 20 – 30 minutes. Taste the sauce while cooking and adjust with salt and pepper.
- With a spoon, create 4 holes equally spaced from each other within the sauce. In each hole, very gently break an egg without breaking the yolk. Cover with the lid and cook over medium heat until the white is compact and the yolk still liquid.
Serve immediately with plenty of chopped parsley.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you are looking for another fun recipe with eggs check my Baked tofu frittata roll with spicy sauce. (foto below)