Sweet and savory giant white beans stew is a warm and tasty side dish made with white beans. This hearty, sweet and sour dish is perfect with a bruschetta, warm piece of flat bread or a slice of homemade soft focaccia.
Sweet and savory giant white beans stew
- 1 can large butter beans or another kind of white beans
- 2 medium onions
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 0.5 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 to matoes
Instructions sweet and savory giant white beans stew
- Drain and rinse your beans and set them aside.
- Blanch the tomatoes with boiling water, remove the skin and cut them into quarters. Set aside.
- Toast coriander and cumin seeds in a dry pan for 3 – 4 minutes. Put the seeds into a mortar, add paprika and cinnamon and grind.
- Heat oil and butter in a pan. Add onion slices and cook on medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the onions have softened, about 4 – 6 minutes.
- Add chopped garlic and spices. Cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant for about 1 – 2 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes, salt, sugar, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium – low and simmer, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes.
- Add beans, cover the pan and cook for another 15 minutes over medium – low heat. Taste, add more salt if necessary and serve.
lot of love. B.