This vanilla cheesecake and sponge cake is fluffy and light. It is a cake known by several names such as duvet cake, pillow cake or quilt cake. Its flavor seems that of a delicate cheesecake placed on a soft base similar in consistency to sponge cake. To prepare it you need few basic ingredients that you surely have at home. The batter bakes quickly and rises well while the ricotta cream is not too sweet and has a slight lemon aftertaste. It is a simple and quick cake to prepare and guarantees a beautiful visual effect as the grid above is scenographic. Serve it with powdered sugar and fresh fruit, strawberry or raspberry coulis or a crème anglaise or custard.
Vanilla Duvet Cake – fluffy and light cheesecake and sponge cake
- 600 g ricotta cheese
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ lemon (only the zest)
- 70 g white sugar
- 2 medium eggs at room temperature
Soft sponge cake
- 5 medium eggs at room temperature
- 200 g white sugar
- 125 ml vegetable oil (I used mixed seeds oil)
- 125 ml sparkling water
- 15 g baking powder
- 320 g all-purpose flour
- 1 lemon (only the zest)
- powdered sugar for decoration
Instructions Vanilla Duvet Cake – fluffy and light cheesecake and sponge cake
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks. Put the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl. Beat with a mixer at maximum speed for 5 minutes until you have a light and fluffy mass.
- Add water and oil and mix on low speed. Now add lemon zest and the sifted flour and baking powder. Stir briefly just to mix the ingredients.
- Whip the egg whites until stiff and incorporate them delicately into the batter with movements from top to bottom.
- Line a 42×30 cm rectangular pan with baking paper. Transfer the batter to the pan and level it. Now prepare the ricotta cream.
Note from the author of this recipe
- I just want to tell you that I really appreciate that you have decided to prepare my recipe. If you like it, I would be very happy and it could be a huge help for me if you follow me on my official social channel such as instagram where I publish every time a new recipe comes out. To become my follower just search for foodohfood in your instagram or click on this link: https://www.instagram.com/foodohfood/ and press Follow. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Barbara. ^_^
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks.
- Put ricotta, sugar, vanilla extract, lemon zest and egg yolks in a bowl. Mix together to combine. Whisk the egg whites until stiff and gently fold them into the cheese mass with a spatula. Prepare the ricotta cream just before putting it on the cake.
- Put the cream in a piping bag and draw your lines over the base so that after baking it will seem the texture of a quilt.
- Bake in the preheated static oven at 180 °C for 35 – 40 minutes or until the toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool completely before decorating with powdered sugar.
Store at room temperature covered with a cotton cloth. The cake stays fresh for several days.
lot of love. B.