Known by many different names egg in a basket can be prepared in no time and is perfect for a quick breakfast or brunch with your family. It consists in a sunny side up egg cooked inside a frame of savory brioche, bagel or a slice of toasted bread. The yolk remains soft and creamy while the bread is crispy and hot.
Egg in a basket – egg in a bread
- 1 slice of bread thick about 1 – 2 cm
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp butter
- salt and pepper to taste
Instructions: Egg in a basket – egg in a bread
- Take a slice of bread or a savory brioche. Put a glass upside down in the middle of the slice. Use a sharp knife to cut out a disc of bread along the rim of the glass.
- Heat oil with butter an a non stick frying pan. Place the slice of bread in the pan and gently break one egg into the hole you have created. Add salt and pepper and cook the egg, on high heat for 2 minutes on each side. Be careful not to break the yolk while flipping the slice over.
- Serve immediately along with the bread disc, you have cut earlier and toasted in a pan, and a mixed salad of your liking.
lot of love. B.