Rice, zucchini and spinach slice is a super easy one-course meal to prepare for vegetarian lunch or dinner. The rice is cooked directly in the oven with a mixture of summer zucchini, spinach and cheese. A sort of savory cake prepared which can be served as a single main dish with a side of fresh tomato salad. Delicious still warm with the slightly crunchy cheese crust. Also yummy the next day whether hot or at room temperature, just warm it up for a few minutes and it will always be delicious. A hearty and original dish of vegetables and rice.
Rice, zucchini and spinach slice
- 400 g zucchini
- 2 tsp salt
- 200 g frozen spinach
- 1 small onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 180 g white rice
- 130 g of scamorza or provola or emmental or similar cheese
- 50 g grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 medium eggs
- 220 ml milk
- ground pepper to taste
- 2 slices of cheese or some grated cheese (I used sliced goat cheese)
- butter and flour for the pan
Instructions rice, zucchini and spinach slice
- To prepare this recipe, previously thaw the spinach and squeeze it between your hands to remove the water.
- Wash your rice under running water and soak it for 10 minutes in cold water.
- While waiting for the rice, grate the zucchini on a grater with large holes. Sprinkle them with salt and place on a sieve for about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix eggs, milk and ground pepper.
- Add chopped garlic clove and a chopped onion.
- Squeeze the zucchini between your hands to remove excess water and add them to the egg mix. Also add two types of cheese, squeezed spinach and your drained rice.
- Mix well then pour everything into a ceramic or pyrex (18×28 cm) pan that you have previously spread with a some butter and dusted with flour. Cover the pan with aluminum foil.
- Bake in the preheated static oven at 180 °C for 30 minutes. After this time, remove the aluminum foil and continue baking for another 30 minutes.
- Once ready add a layer of grated or sliced cheese and toast everything under the oven grill for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool a bit before serving.
Note from the author of this recipe
- I just want to tell you that I really appreciate that you have decided to prepare my recipe. If you like it, I would be very happy and it could be a huge help for me if you follow me on my official social channel such as instagram where I publish every time a new recipe comes out. To become my follower just search for foodohfood in your instagram or click on this link: https://www.instagram.com/foodohfood/ and press Follow. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Barbara. ^_^
Store in the refrigerator and eat within 2 – 3 days.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you are looking for another summer dish to prepare on the go, try my Summer salad with beans, hard-boiled eggs and tomatoes (photo below) or Greek yogurt and zucchini fritters with feta cheese (photo below).