Fennel and radicchio barley salad is an amazing, healthy and flavorful vegan salad garnished with capers, garlic and green olives paste. All mixed with crispy and super fresh fennel and radicchio.
Fennel and radicchio barley salad
- 1 cup uncooked barley
- 1 slice of bread I used whole wheat bread
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 0.5 small radicchio red chicory
- 0.5 fennel
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1 handful parsley
- 8 capers in salt
- 8 green olives
- lemon juice to taste
- 1 handfull almonds
- salt and olive oil
Instructions: Fennel and radicchio barley salad
- If the instructions on the box does not indicate otherwise: rinse the barley under cold running water, bring to a boil about 3 glasses of salty water, add a splash of olive oil and once the water bubbles add the barley, bring again to a boil, lower the flame and cook (without stirring) for 15 to 20 minutes with the lid on. After 15 minutes if the barley is cooked through, stir and drain (if any water has remained), put the barley back in the pot, cover with the lid and leave for about 15 minutes to rest.
- While the barley becomes lukewarm prepare the seasoning. Cut the bread into cubes and add olive oil and vinegar. Set aside until the bread absorbs all the liquid then add garlic, chopped parsley, olives and previously rinsed capers. Mash everything with a fork or in a mortar until you get a fairly uniform condiment.
- Add the prepared mixture into the barley and stir. Combine finelly chopped radicchio and thin fennel slices then add some coarse chopped almonds.
Serve immediately with a few drops of lemon juice.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you love this kind of salad you should also check my Winter salad with pears, walnuts and gorgonzola cheese (photo below).