These Greek yogurt and zucchini fritters with feta cheese are incredibly easy to prepare and they are a perfect way to sneak in some vegetables onto our table. I am always looking for new ways to use zucchini in the summer when this vegetable is in season and persists in our garden or in the fridge. I’ve already made breaded and roasted zucchini sticks, several savory pies, quiches and salads with marinated zucchini, but this time I wanted to try something a little different. That’s how these fritters / savory pancakes were born. They are soft and flavorful. The delicate flavor of the zucchini is enriched by the addition of lemon zest and crumbled feta cheese (or other type of similar cheese) which makes them, in my opinion, particularly delicious.
Plus, these savory pancakes are incredibly easy to prepare. Just grate the zucchini, drain them completely on a sieve and then put them in a bowl with all the other ingredients. Then transfer the batter to a hot pan, cook, flip, and serve. You can serve them as a snack, appetizer, light lunch or even a side dish!
Greek yogurt and zucchini fritters with feta cheese
- 400 g zucchini
- 1 tsp salt
- 200 ml Greek yogurt
- 110 g feta cheese (or similar)
- 1-2 cloves of garlic
- 2 eggs
- 1 lemon (the zest)
- 180 g all-purpose flour
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- olive oil for cooking
Instructions Greek yogurt and zucchini fritters with feta cheese
- Grate the zucchini in a colander over the sink on a grater with large holes. Add salt and mix. Let it sit for 10 minutes. After this time, squeeze the vegetables in your palms to remove the excess liquid and place them in a large bowl.
- Add 200 g of Greek yogurt and 1 or 2 crushed cloves of garlic. Also add two eggs, some ground pepper and lemon zest from one organic lemon.
- Mix well and now add 180 g of sieved all-purpose flour. Also add three quarters of a teaspoon of baking powder. Stir slowly to mix all the ingredients.
- Now add about 200 grams of crumbled feta cheese. If you don’t have feta available, I recommend another type of semi-soft salted cheese that is similar in texture. Stir it gently into the batter.
Note from the author of this recipe
- I just want to tell you that I really appreciate that you have decided to prepare my recipe. If you like it, I would be very happy and it could be a huge help for me if you follow me on my official social channel such as instagram where I publish every time a new recipe comes out. To become my follower just search for foodohfood in your instagram or click on this link: https://www.instagram.com/foodohfood/ and press Follow. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Barbara. ^_^
Savory pancakes with zucchini and cheese – cooking time
- Heat a large non-stick pan and add, if necessary, a some olive oil. Pour about two tablespoons of batter for each pancake and flatten them gently. You can cook 2 – 3 at a time compatibly with the size of your pan. Cook for 2 – 3 minutes over medium – high heat and then turn with a spatula and continue cooking for another 2 minutes. Check if the fritters are done and flip them one more time if necessary. They must remain soft and with the cheese slightly melted but the batter must not be raw.
- Proceed in this way until the batter is used up. Brush the pan with more oil from time to time. If you want to keep your pancakes warm, keep them in the oven at 100 ° C.
Serve your savory zucchini fritters right away or even when they get cold garnished with cheese, vegetables or other type of topping of your liking.
Consume within the day.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you are looking for another super simple recipe with zucchini check out my Roasted zucchini with Parmesan crust and spices (photo below).