Pumpkin Tres Leches cake is a Mexican cake made of a delicious and soft pumpkin flavoured sponge cake soaked in the mix of three types of milk and garnished with whipped cream. My version adds pumpkin puree into the dough which makes it even more moist and tasty while the classic milk is replaced with coconut milk that along with the spice mix makes this cake unique and irresistible.
Pumpkin Tres Leches cake
- 500 g pumpkin
- 150 ml vegetable oil
- 4 eggs room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 260 g all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 pinch of salt
- 0.5 tsp ground cardamom
- 0.25 tsp ground ginger
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 340 ml evaporated milk
- 400 ml sweet condensed milk
- 130 ml coconut milk
- 260 ml cold whipping cream
- 50 g or less powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 generous tsp of cinnamon
Instructions: Pumpkin Tres Leches cake
- Cook the pumpkin in the oven until tender then blend it until you get a smooth puree. Mix room temperature egg, oil and vanilla extract with the pumpkin puree and set asside.
- Sift flour, baking soda and baking powder. Combine cardamom, ginger, nutmeg and sugar and mix.
- Gradually add dry ingredients into the pumpkin mix and stir gently.
- Transfer the batter into a baking tray (my 22 x 33 cm) lined with baking paper and bake for 35 to 40 minutes in the preheated static oven at 175 °C or until the toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Mix three types of milk and set asside.
- Take the cake out from the oven and let it cool down completely. If necessary, make the surface even by cutting of any created bump and then reverse it in the pan. Prick the surface of the cake with a fork and cover completely with milk mixture that you have prepared earlier.
- Soak the cake for a couple of hours with prepared milk until it absorbs as much as possible. Remove any advanced milk (me 1/2 cup) cover the baking tray with the plastic wrap and let it rest all night in the refrigerator.
- The next morning whip the cream then add vanilla extract, cinnamon and icing sugar and whip briefly.
- Garnish the cake with the prepared cream, some cinnamon and serve.
Store the cake in the refrigerator.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you love some pumpkin in your cakes and desserts you should check my favorite Spiced pumpkin cupcakes with crunchy streusel. (foto below)