These wholemeal flour and honey cookies are very easy to prepare. These are rustic, fragrant cookies that are perfect for breakfast or a snack. They are similar to English Digestive biscuits. They are simple wholemeal shortbread cookies enriched with butter which makes them particularly rich, fragrant and delicious. This recipe for these homemade cookies is super quick and easy, and doesn’t require waiting time in the refrigerator. Furthermore, being similar to the original English Digestive biscuits, they have a mixed flavor between sweet and slightly salty. These cookies are egg-free, crunchy and slightly hard. Rich in fiber, with a rustic flavor and crumbly texture.
Easy wholemeal flour cookies
- 110 g soft butter I unsalted butter made by Lurpak
- 70 g powdered sugar I used 35 g white icing sugar and 35 g brown icing sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 16 g liquid honey
- 200 g wholemeal flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 20 ml of milk
Instructions easy wholemeal flour cookies
- To prepare these cookies I used unsalted butter made by Lurpak.
- In a bowl, using a whisk, mix vigorously soft butter to make it lighter.
- Then add powdered sugar and half a teaspoon of salt and stir again to make them incorporate. As you have noticed in the ingredients I used a mix of white powdered sugar and raw cane powdered sugar but you can only use the white one for the same amazing result.
- At this point add liquid honey and stir well.
- Now sift 200 g of wholemeal flour and half a teaspoon of baking powder and add them to the mix of butter and sugar. Stir in with a whisk until the batter begins to make clumps. At this point add milk. If you like at this moment you can also add some chocolate chips, cinnamon or vanilla extract but I choose classic and original taste.
- Knead briefly by hand until you have a compact but soft dough, similar to that of shortcrust pastry.
Note from the author of this recipe
- While you are preparing your cookies I just want to tell you that I really appreciate that you have decided to prepare my recipe. If you like it, I would be delighted and it could be a huge help for me if you follow me on my official social channel such as instagram where I publish every time a new recipe comes out. To become my follower just search for foodohfood in your instagram or click on this link: https://www.instagram.com/foodohfood/ and press Follow. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Barbara.
Wholemeal honey biscuits – baking
- Dust the work surface with some flour. Roll out the dough using a rolling pin to a thickness of about half a centimeter. Using a thin-rimmed glass or cookie cutter, cut out circles.
- Place the wholemeal shortbread cookies on the baking pan covered with baking paper or with the silicone baking mat.
- Mix the scraps of the dough and roll out again to create more cookies. Use all the prepared dough. I managed to get 15 medium cookies.
- Use a toothpick to prick each cookie and to create a decoration similar to that of the Digestive biscuits.
- Bake in a preheated static oven at 170 ° C for about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before serving. These cookies harden once cooled.
To be kept in a closed container to avoid contact with moisture.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you liked these egg-free wholemeal cookies check my recipe for chocolate thumbprint cookies (foto below).