Mexican Tres Leches chocolate cake is a delicious cake soaked with three types of milk. Tres leches literally means “three milks” and this cake is a chocolate sponge cake soaked in a sweet milk mixture. It’s a deliciously rich and moist cake that always gets compliments every time it’s served. Covered with a delicious layer of chocolate whipped cream it will satisfy even the greatest lovers of chocolate cakes.
Original recipe by Emma’s Goodies.
Mexican chocolate Tres Leches cake
- 70 g butter I used unsalted butter by Lurpak
- 35 g of dark chocolate
- 3 eggs divided into whites and yolks
- 150 g of white sugar
- 1 drop of lemon juice
- 130 ml of milk
- 45 g of dark cocoa
- 100 g of all-purpose flour
- 1.5 teaspoon of baking powder
Three milks bath
- 120 ml of milk
- 70 ml of whipping cream
- 130 ml of sweet condensed milk
- 15 g of dark cocoa powder
Whipped cream with chocolate
- 250 ml of whipping cream
- 40 g of dark chocolate
- 1 teaspoon of cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon of white sugar
Instructions Mexican Tres Leches cake
- Melt 70 g of butter with 35 g of chocolate and set aside to let them cool down.
- Begin whipping the whites with a drop of lemon juice. As soon as the whites begin to become light and frothy, start adding 150 g of sugar one tablespoon at a time. Whip until the sugar is well incorporated and the mix becomes clear, frothy and shiny. Set aside.
- In a bowl, melt 45 g of unsweetened coco powdera with 130 g of previously heated milk. Stir until the cocoa dissolves, then add the chocolate with the butter. Mix well, add three egg yolks and stir again.
- At this poin, add sieved 100 g of flour and 1 and a half teaspoons of baking powder. Stir briefly just to mix the ingredients and have no visible traces of flour.
- Begin to add the whipped whites by adding a few spoonfuls and stirring gently with movements from the bottom to the top. Add the rest of the whites and stir in gently
- Line a 22 – 25 cm squered pan with baking paper and pour the prepared mixture.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 160 C for 25 minutes. Check the baking of the cake with the toothpick. I baked the cake in a glass pan so I had to add another 8 minutes and to rais the temperature to 180 C.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool down slightly. Then turn the cake over and let it cool completely on a cooling rack. Once it is completely cold put it back in your clean pan. Always lay it with the upper part at the bottom (as in the photo).
The milk bath
- Prepare the batk of three milks. Place 15 g of cocoa powder and 28 g of chopped dark chocolate into a bowl. Add 120 ml of hot milk and mix well until the chocolate melts. At this point, add 70 ml of cold cream and 130 ml of sweet condensed milk. Mix well, prick the surface of the cake with a fork and pour the mixture through a sieve to remove any pieces of undissolved chocolate.
- Place the pan covered with plastic wrap in the refrigerator to absorb the mixture. The original recipe recommends at least 1 hour but I have noticed better results after the whole night. Also remember that you have to prepare the chocolate whipped cream which needs to be refrigerated for 6 hours to be whipped. Organize your time by preparing the cream first or letting it rest in the fridge together with the cake all night.
Chocolate whipping cream
- Heat 125 ml of whipping cream and pour it over the 40 g of choped dark chocolate. Stir to make it dissolve. Add 1 teaspoon of sugar and 1 teaspoon of unsweetened cocoa and the remaining 125 ml of cold cream and mix well. Place it in the refrigerator for about 6 hours.
- The next morning, whip the cream until stiff.
- Traditionally it is served directly in the pan, leaving the milk bath in the pan. This way it makes the cake slightly less easy to cut but richer because you can add a few teaspoons of syrup on the plate.
- Decorate it with the whipped chocolate cream and place it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Serve with few pieces of fresh seasonal fruit to add a fruity note.
To be store in the fridge.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you are looking for another easy and amazing chocolate cake check my Chocolate and olive oil cake with orange marmalade. (foto below)