Pumpkin with spicy turmeric stew is an union of various spices with the predominant turmeric taste clashes with the sweetness of the pumpkin. It is a flavorful dish of vivid colors and bold flavors.
Pumpkin and peas spicy turmeric stew
- 1 small piece of ginger about 3 cm long
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 medium onion
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6 whole cardamom seeds
- 1 tsp cumin
- 250 ml coconut milk
- 450 ml vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 600 g pumpkin
- 2 tbsp fish sauce or soy sauce for the vegan version
- 2 handfuls of fresh spinach tender leaves
- 240 g fresh peas frozen are fine as well
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
Instructions: Pumpkin and peas spicy turmeric stew
- In a pan heat the oil, add ginger and minced garlic. Cook for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add the cumin seeds and onion cut into strips. Continue to cook over medium – low heat for other 2 – 3 minutes.
- Remove the pods from cardamom and add the dark seeds into the pan together with coconut milk. Bring to a simmer.
- Add broth, turmeric, fish sauce (use soy sauce if you are vegan or vegetarian), sugar and finally the pumpkin.
- After few minutes add peas. Cook over medium heat until the pumpkin becomes soft. Turn the heat off and while the stew is still hot add spinach and 1 – 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you love easy pumpkin recipes check my Pumpkin and lentil stew (foto below).