Finding golden syrup can be sometimes tricky but this recipe for homemade golden syrup solves this problem. For those not familiar with Golden Syrup it is a caramelized sugar and lemon syrup often used in different British and American recipes. This syrup of acacia honey consistency. It tastes like a caramelized sugar lollipop with delicate lemon aftertaste.
Golden syrup – caramelized sugar syrup
- 200 g white sugar
- 50 ml water
- 1 kg white sugar
- 600 ml boiling water
- 2 tbsp or more lemon juice
Instructions: Homemade Golden syrup
- In a deep pot mix 200 g of sugar and 50 ml of water.
- Turn on the heat and bring to a boil (at this stage do not stir or the sugar crystallizes) on a medium flame.
- Cook until the mixture turns to a golden color. Be careful not to burn the mixture or the syrup will become bitter and you’ll have to start over.As soon as the syrup becomes a desired color, turn off the heat and being very careful add 600 ml of boiling water. Be careful not to burn yourself because the reaction will be quite explosive!
- Add the remaining sugar and the lemon juice. Stir, bring back to a boil, lower the heat and cook over medium – low heat for about 30 – 45 minutes until it thickens (it will thicken more once it cools down). The consistency should be similar to acacia honey.
- If it is too liquidy simply heat it again and cook for another 15 min. Otherwise just add a little hot water.
With this recipe you should get about 1 liter of golden syrup.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you love homemade cooking and baking condiments you should definitely check my Homemade vanilla extract.