Today’s recipe is a creamy turmeric, potato and chickpea soup. Absolutely delicious. Perfect for cold and gloomy days. Very rich in flavor thanks to the spices like ginger, turmeric and cumin mixed with the delicate flavor of coconut milk, potatoes and chickpeas. The soup is thick and velvety while its preparation is quick and easy. To try absolutely garnished with baked crispy chickpeas and chili flakes.
Creamy turmeric, potato and chickpea soup
- 1 red onion
- 1 tablespoon of coconut or olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 piece about 2 cm lonf of fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon of turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon of cumin powder
- 800 g of potatoes
- 1 can of chickpeas
- salt and pepper
- 1 liter of vegetable broth
- 200 ml of coconut milk
- to garnish: coconut milk parsley, roasted chickpeas, chili pepper flakes (optional)
Instructions creamy turmeric, potato and chickpea soup
- In a pan, heat the coconut oil or the olive oil. Add sliced red onion. Cook over medium heat until the onion softens for about 3 – 5 minutes.
- Add chopped garlic and the diced or grated fresh ginger. Continue cooking for another 2-3 minutes, stirring often.
- Add previously drained and rinsed chickpeas. Also add cumin and turmeric. Mix well and cook everything in the pan for another minute.
- Now add diced potatoes and a liter of vegetable broth. Cook over medium heat for about 20 minutes or until the potatoes become tender. While the soup is cooking, taste and adjust with salt and pepper if necessary.
- Once the potatoes are soft, turn off the heat and add 200 ml of coconut milk. Blend everything with the hand blender or with the vertical mixer until the soup becomes smooth and creamy.
- Garnish everything with a dash of coconut milk, chil pepper flakes and parsley leaves. If you like, also add some spicy chickpeas cooked previously in the oven. You can find the recipe for these chickpeas by clicking this link: Spicy roasted chickpeas. (photo below)
- Serve immediately.
lot of love. B.
P.S. If you love dense, creamy and spicy soups, also check Creamy pumpkin, ginger and coconut soup.