Simple and delicious poppy seed bread with active dry yeast. The poppy seeds add to this bread a fabulous crunchiness and particular flavor while the addition of wholemeal rye flour a delicate rustic aftertaste. It is perfect when you are in a need of homemade breed yet you don’t have enough time to use sourdough or long leavening times.
Easy homemade poppy seed bread
- 400 g all-purpose flour
- 100 g wholemeal rye flour
- 1 tsp active dry yeast
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 50 g poppy seeds
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 350 ml warm water
- 1 generous tbsp poppy seeds for the topping
Instructions: Easy homemade poppy seed bread
- Mix the flours, active dry yeast, poppy seeds and sugar in a bowl.
- Add lukewarm water and begin to knead. After 1 minute add salt and continue to knead by hand or in the electic mixer with dough hook for about 10 minutes or until the dough will become elastic and homogeneous.
- Move the dough into a slightly greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let it rise in a warm place until it doubles the volume. Mine doubled in about 2 hours. The rising times are approximate. It can take more or less time depending on the temperature of the environment, the freshness of the yeast, the strength of the flour and other factors not related to the recipe.
- Deflate the dough. Work it briefly, create a loaf and place it on a sheet of baking paper. Cover with a cotton cloth and let it rise for another hour.
- Before baking the loaf brush it with a some water and sprinkle with a spoonful of poppy seeds and then make a cross incision using a sharp knife or a razor blade.
- For this recipe I used cast iron pot with a lid as my baking method. If you do not have a pot like that this bread can be baked on a preheated baking tray.
- Preheat the oven to 250 °C with the cast iron pot (or baking tray) in the oven. Once the oven reaches the temperature, lower it to 220 °C. Carefully remove the pot (tray) from the oven and place the baking paper with your bread into the pot (tray), close the lid and place it in the oven. Cook 30 minutes with the lid and 20 minutes without it (50 min on baking tray).
Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before serving.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you are looking for another super easy bread with yeast you should check my Easy everyday bread with spelt flour.