“Cuor di mela” (Apple’s heart) is a super soft and moist cake with rich apple and cinnamon filling. It is a very simple cake to prepare and the poured batter guarantees a delicate but at the same time very fragrant autumn dessert. Fluffy and delicious, prepared with many apples, it is perfect for a sweet breakfast or as a snack.
Original recipe from Moje wypieki.
Soft cake with moist apple filling
- 9 medium apples
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp corn or potato starch
- 60 ml water
- lemon zest form 1 lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
Torta sofficce con le mele
- 5 medium eggs at room temperature
- 160 g white sugar
- 120 ml vegetable oil (I used corn oil)
- 50 ml room temperature milk
- 250 g all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- powdered sugar
Instructions soft cake with moist apple filling
- Peel the apples and remove the cores. Grate on a grater with large holes directly into the pot. Add sugar, cinnamon, lemon juice, lemon zest and vanilla extract, then turn on the heat.
- Cook for 5 minutes over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until the juice evaporates. Mix potato starch with water and add it to the apples. Bring to a boil, then turn off the heat and let it cool completely.
- All the ingredients must be at room temperature.
- Beat the eggs and sugar with a mixer until the eggs have increased their volume 3 times and you have obtained a dense but light mass. Gradually pour in the oil and milk while continuing to whisk.
- Sift the flour with the baking powder directly into the batter and stir in gently with a spatula with movements from top to bottom.
- Line a 24 x 34 cm pan with baking paper. Pour half of the batter into a pan and level it gently. Bake in the preaheted static oven at 180ºC for about 15 minutes or until it becomes golden. When you touch it, it should no longer be liquid.
- Remove from the oven and gently spread the cold apple filling. Pour the rest of the batter over the apples leveling it gently. Bake another 35-40 minutes at 180ºC or until the toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. There may be bits of apple stuck to it but not the raw batter.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool completely. Before serving dust with a generous layer of powdered sugar.
Note from the author of this recipe
- I just want to tell you that I really appreciate that you have decided to prepare my recipe. If you like it, I would be very happy and it could be a huge help for me if you follow me on my official social channel such as instagram where I publish every time a new recipe comes out. To become my follower just search for foodohfood in your instagram or click on this link: https://www.instagram.com/foodohfood/ and press Follow. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Barbara. ^_^
Store at a room temperature.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you are looking for some other desserts with apples, check my recipe for Caramelized apples with puff pastry squares – easy and quick dessert (photo below) or Easy puff pastry croissants with apples and cinnamon (photo below).