I love homemade bread and this delicious frying whole wheat naan bread is no exception. Aromatic and dense, this Indian bread, with the addition of whole wheat flour, is prepared in a few steps and is so full of flavour that it disappears faster than the time it takes to be prepared.
Whole wheat homemade Naan bread
- 150 ml warm milk
- 1 egg
- 7 g active dry yeast* see the notes to halve the yeast
- 2 tsp honey
- 150 ml plain yogurt
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 200 g bread flour
- 250 g whole wheat flour
Instructions: Whole wheat homemade Naan bread
- In a bowl stir together dry yeast, honey and warm milk and set aside for 5 – 10 minutes until it creates the foam.
- In a large bowl mix together the flour with the salt. Add milk with yeast, oil, yogurt, egg and begin to mix.
- Knead the dough by hand for at least 10 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic. Spread a bowl with some oil, laid the dough, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place until it doubles the volume. Please have patience because the dough need to double the volume.
- The rising times are approximate, it can take more or less time depending on the temperature of the environment, the freshness of the yeast, the strength of the flour and other factors not related to the recipe.
Wholemeal naan – the cooking
- Deflate the dough and divide it into 6 – 10 equal parts. Preheat the frying pan or skillet. On a lightly floured surface roll out the pieces of dough creating discs 0.5 to 1 cm high. Put the disc on the pan for 60 – 90 seconds, flip it to the other side and cook for another 30 – 60 seconds. You have to experiment with the flame because too high heat will burn the bread while too low flame will make it too dry at the end of cooking. The best temperature is when the dough creates some bubbles on the surface while cooking.
- Place the naan on the plate and continue the process until you finish all the dough.
This bread is perfect with soups or stews.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you are looking for a bread with sourdough check my 60 slams sourdough bread with grated apple (foto below).