The vanilla mousse pie with fresh strawberries is a simple dessert with a shortcrust pastry shell filled with a delicious and velvety cream and fresh fruit. It is a very scenographic and equally delicious fruit tart. The cream – mousse is light and delicate, sweet at the right point and with a pronounced odour and aftertaste of milk mixed with vanilla. Fresh strawberries add a note of freshness while the glaze with orange marmalade adds a citrus touch. In addition to strawberries, you can serve it with other types of seasonal fruit such as blueberries, blackberries, raspberries or peaches.
Vanilla mousse pie with fresh strawberries
- 500 ml whipping cream
- 1 vanilla pod or 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 40 g white sugar
- 3 small or 2 large yolks
- 1 tbsp potato starch
- 250 g all-purpose flour
- 125 g soft butter
- 100 g white sugar
- 1 medium egg
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 organic lemon (only the zest)
- fresh strawberries
- 1 tbsp orange marmalade (also peach marmalade)
Instructions vanilla mousse pie with fresh strawberries – the cream
- In a small saucepan, pour the whipping cream. Add the seeds from a vanilla pod or 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract. Turn on the heat and slowly bring to a boil. Turn off the heat and let sit to reinforce the vanilla flavor for 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix the potato or corn starch with the sugar and egg yolks with a whisk. Pour the mixture into the warm milk and mix thoroughly. Turn on the heat and, stirring constantly, thicken the cream over medium-low heat.
- The cream should have a thick but still runny consistency. Pour it into a bowl and let it cool at room temperature. Now place it in the refrigerator, covered, for at least 2 hours. After this time, whip it with an electric whisk, first at low speed and then at higher speed until you obtain a dense but light mousse full of air. Place it in the refrigerator while you prepare the pastry shell.
Instructions pastry shell
- While the cream stays in the fridge for two hours, prepare the lemon shortcrust pastry.
- Place flour, butter, sugar, salt and grated lemon zest in a robot equipped with blades and blend everything. Otherwise, use your fingertips to incorporate the ingredients into the butter and create a sand-like mixture.
- Add the eggs and whisk again. Briefly knead the dough with your hands to make it even, then wrap it in the plastic wrap or put it in a narrow container with a lid. Place the pastry in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Remove the shortcrust pastry from the fridge and roll it out with a rolling pin on a lightly floured surface until it is 5 mm thick. Use the shortcrust pastry to line a tart pan (you don't have to butter it or flour it) about 22 cm wide. Cut the excess dough and use it to create decorations along the edge of the tart.
- Before baking, I recommend letting the pastry shell rest in the frizzer for at least 15 minutes.
- Prick the bottom with a fork. Place a piece of parchment paper inside the tart and fill it with dried beans or special ceramic balls. Bake in the preheated static oven at 180°C for 10 minutes. Remove paper and weights and bake again for another 10 – 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let it cool down.
Instructions for decorations
- In a small saucepan, heat the orange marmalade with a teaspoon of water until it dissolves completely. Turn off the flame and let it cool.
- Fill the pastry shell with the vanilla mousse, spreading it evenly.
- Add fresh strawberries. Spread each strawberry with some melted marmalade and serve.
Note from the author of this recipe
- I just want to tell you that I really appreciate that you have decided to prepare my recipe. If you like it, I would be very happy and it could be a huge help for me if you follow me on my official social channel such as instagram where I publish every time a new recipe comes out. To become my follower just search for foodohfood in your instagram or click on this link: https://www.instagram.com/foodohfood/ and press Follow. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Barbara. ^_^
Store in the refrigerator and eat within a couple of days. This tart should not be frozen.
lot of love. B.