Cannelès de Bordeaux is a recipe that I wanted to prepare for a long time in the cardamom version. These delicious baked custard dessert of French origin are a real treat. Crispy outside and soft inside, sweet and fragrant thanks to the addition of dark rum. For this version of Cannelés I decided to use a modern silicone mold with a particular shape instead of a classic copper mold. Original recipe by Pierre Hermè.
Cardamom cannelès de Bordeaux
- 500 ml milk at room temperature
- 2 tsp or more ground cardamom
- 50 g soft butter
- 100 g cake flour
- 250 g powdered sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 60 ml dark rum
- melted butter for the moulds
Instructions: Cardamom cannelès de Bordeaux
- For this recipe I used Mini Raggio silicone mould made by Silikomart.
- The recipe, even if it is simple, needs certain steps, such as placing the mixture for 24-hour in the fridge or greasing the mould. I do recommend not to change these steps.
- In a bowl, gently work eggs and egg yolks with sifted powdered sugar.
- Add sifted flour, cardamom and a pinch of salt and stir. Add soft butter and mix it until incorporated. Finally add milk and rum. The batter will be very liquid.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
- The next day melt some butter and let it cool down slightly. Brush your silicone moulds accurately with prepared butter. Put the moluds for half an hour in the refrigerator (important step!). Meanwhile preheat your static oven to 220 °C.
- Gently stir the batter. Fill the moulds with the batter leaving about 1 cm from the edge. Bake about 50 minutes – 1 hour (depending on the mould you use). The batter will rise and then get lower. Remove from the oven and from the moulds. The Bordeaux Cannelés should be caramelized on the outside and soft in the inside. Serve both warm and room temperature. Store in a closed container.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you love cardamom you should absolutely try my Cake with creamy coconut cardamom filling and strawberry gelee.
This recipe is made thanks to the collaboration with Silikomart – a company specializing in the production of silicone moulds and pastry, kitchen and ice cream utensils.