This soft apple and cinnamon sheet cake is absolutely fabulous. It is a fluffy, moist cake with lots of shredded apples and chopped walnuts and almonds. It is also quick and easy to prepare. This cake is made without butter but it uses vegetable oil. It is also very fragrant because it contains cinnamon and a lot of grated lemon zest. It is prepared with white sugar mixed with brown sugar and a mixture all-purpose flour and wholemeal flour that adds a rustic flavor. You can serve it with frosting, powdered sugar or just plain without anything and it will be perfect for a sweet breakfast or for a afternoon snack.
Soft apple and cinnamon sheet cake
- 3 eggs at room temperature
- 100 g white sugar
- 100 g brown sugar
- 80 ml vegetable oil I used corn oil
- 170 g all-purpose flour
- 120 g wholemeal flour
- 1 generous teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon
- 1 pinch of salt
- 45 g walnuts
- 45 g almonds
- 3 apples
- 1 lemon (zest)
Instructions soft apple and cinnamon sheet cake
- For this recipe the eggs should be at room temperature.
- In a bowl, whip whole eggs with white sugar and brown sugar until they become light and frothy for about 5 minutes. This step ensures that your apple cake will be soft and delicious.
- Add vegetable oil and beat again with the mixer at minimum for a couple of minutes.
- At this point, sift the wholemeal flour, all-purpose flour, a pinch of salt, 1 tablespoon of cinnamon and a generous teaspoon of baking soda. Add everything in the bowl with the eggs and gently incorporate with a spoon with movements from the bottom to the top.
- Now add coarsely chopped walnuts and almonds and mix again.
- Peel the apples and grate them on a grater with large holes. Add all the fruit (including juice) to the mixture and stir to incorporate.
- At this point also add lemon zest.
Note from the author of this recipe
- While you are preparing your cake I just want to tell you that I really appreciate that you have decided to prepare my recipe. If you like it, I would be delighted and it could be a huge help for me if you follow me on my official social channel such as instagram where I publish every time a new recipe comes out. To become my follower just search for foodohfood in your instagram or click on this link: https://www.instagram.com/foodohfood/ and press Follow. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Barbara.
Instructions fluffy and moist apple and walnut cake – the baking
- Preheat the static oven to 175 ° C. Spread a square pan (mine 35 cm x 35 cm) with some oil and dust with flour. You can also simply line it with baking paper. Pour all the batter and level it slightly.
- Bake for about 30 – 35 minutes or until the toothpick inserted in the center of the apple cake comes out clean.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
Serve with a lemon glaze, dusted with powdered sugar, covered with cream cheese frosting or just plain without anything. Store at a room temperature.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you liked this quick and easy recipe, check out my Puff pastry apple and pear pie (photo below).