These oven baked red onions are a very tasty and fragrant side dish. Slightly sour thanks to the addition of apple vinegar but at the same time soft and inviting. Enriched with a mixture of crispy bread, sage, rosemary and Gaeta olives. Recipe inspired by Donna Hay Magazine.
Baked red onions with Gaeta olives
- 5 medium red onions
- 60 ml olive oil I used Ursini brand
- 50 ml apple vinegar
- 70 ml water
- 50 ml of vegetable broth
- salt and pepper
- 170 g bread
- 80 g of purple olives from Gaeta I used Ursini brand
- 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh sage
- 1 generous teaspoon of rosemary
Instructions: Baked red onions with Gaeta olives
- For this recipe I used olive oil from Ursini. The oil I used is Tandem, with a bright, intense and fresh taste. I also used Gaeta violet olives – very rich in flavor and intense – perfect for this type of recipe.
- Peel your onions and cut them into pieces about 2 cm high. Put them on a baking dish and add oil, apple cider vinegar, water and vegetable stock. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cover with aluminum foil and cook in a preheated static oven at 200 °C for an hour.
- Meanwhile, cut the bread into cubes. Add olives, chopped fresh sage and rosemary. After an hour, remove the foil from the onions. Use a spoon to take the liquid left in the bottom of the pan, add it to the bread mixture and stir. Put onions in the oven for another 10 minutes, then add bread mixture and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you like hot side dishes with vegetables maybe you should also try my: Garlicky savoy cabbage and potatoes
This recipe comes from the collaboration with Ursini – company specialized in production of high quality olive oil and food products.