In Italy the time for strawberries has arrived, which means that in my house this easy strawberry and whipped cream cake is constantly requested by a very insistent baby boy. This simple cake is my son’s favorite and I am happy to prepare it because it requires very little time, minimum effort but always guarantees a good result. The cake I use is not a classic soft cake but rather a dense vanilla sponge cake that is very easy and quick to prepare. Its consistency is more compact but that’s what my son prefers.
The cake itself is sweet but not too sweet. It has a delicate vanilla and lemon aftertaste. It is balanced thanks to the addition of fresh seasonal strawberries and Chantilly cream with vanilla and powdered sugar.
If you like a softer cake you can find on this site several proposals that could perfectly replace the type of cake chosen by me. Instead, if you also prefer more compact cakes filled with delicious whipped cream and sliced strawberries, keep reading this recipe. You can decorate this cake with fresh flowers from your garden or another type of fruit. It is perfect for a special occasion such as a birthday party or Mother’s Day.
Easy strawberry and whipped cream cake
Simple whipped cream and strawberry cake
- 220 ml milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 lemon (only the zest)
- 110 g melted butter
- 280 g all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 2,5 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
- 160 g of sugar
- 200 ml of cold whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 30 g powdered sugar
- fresh strawberries
- flowers for decoration optional
Simple cream and strawberry cake preparation
- For this recipe, all the ingredients except the whipping cream must be at room temperature.
- Whisk milk with lemon juice and set aside for 10 minutes to curdle.
- In a bowl, mix warm melted butter with eggs. Add vanilla extract and lemon zest. Now add curdled milk and mix.
- In a bowl, sift the flour with salt, baking powder and baking soda. Add sugar and mix it in.
- Add the flour mixture into the eggs and incorporate with a whisk. The dough will be quite thick. Put the dough aside to let it rest in the while preparing the pan. Cut out a circle of parchment paper and cover the bottom of the 18 cm wide round pan. Grease and lightly dust with flour the sides. Pour the mixture into the pan and start preheating the oven.
- Bake your cake in the preheated oven at 170 ° C for 50 – 55 minutes. Check the cooking with the toothpick inserted in the center of the cake after 30 minutes of baking. Once ready, take the pan from the oven and let it cool for 5 minutes. Turn the pan over and free the cake from the mould and baking paper. Let it cool completely.
Note from the author of this recipe
- While you are preparing your cake I just want to tell you that I really appreciate that you have decided to prepare my recipe. If you like it, I would be delighted and it could be a huge help for me if you follow me on my official social channel such as instagram where I publish every time a new recipe comes out. To become my follower just search for foodohfood in your instagram or click on this link: https://www.instagram.com/foodohfood/ and press Follow. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Barbara. ^_^
Whipped cream preparation
- In a tall jug whip your cold whipping cream. When the cream begins to thicken, gradually add the powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Fully incorporate into the whipped cream. Refrigerate until needed.
The filling and decoration
- Divide the cake in half. Level the top if necessary. If you like, wet two layers of cake with simple sugar syrup or use a lemon juice mixed with water and sugar.
- Over the first disc of cake with a spatula add a dose of whipped cream. Now add the fresh sliced or whole strawberries.
- Cover with more cream and finish with the second cake part. Add the rest of the Chantilly cream and decorate as desired with chopped strawberries, other types of fruit or seasonal flowers such as daisies and violets.
Store your whipped cream and strawberry cake in the refrigerator.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you want to prepare a softer cake I recommend my Italian sponge cake with butter (photo below).
On the other hand, if you are looking for a easy recipe with strawberries, I recommend my Everyday strawberry cake (photo below)