Today’s post is Italian sponge cake with butter which is another basic baking recipe. It is a simplified version of the Italian sponge cake without potato starch with melted butter in the batter. This version creates a slightly drier, but always soft base, compared to the classic Italian sponge cake. This allows it to be covered with very moist creams or with different types of syrups. Perfect as a base for stuffed birthday cakes that can be prepared the day before. Like most Italian sponge cake recipes, this version also does not use baking powder but only whipped eggs.
Italian sponge cake with butter
- 165 g whole eggs at room temperature 3 large eggs
- 120 g of white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 30 g of butter I unsalted Lurpak butter
- 30 g of milk
- 100 g of cake flour or all-purpose flour
Instructions Italian sponge cake with butter
- For this recipe the eggs should be at room temperature.
- Heat the butter together with the milk until the first one is completely melted. Turn off the heat and set aside to cool down.
- Beat whole eggs with sugar for 8 – 10 minutes. The eggs should become clear, frothy, rich in air and duplicate their volume.
- Add the vanilla extract (or the seeds from the vanilla bean) and melted butter together with the milk. Stir gently to incorporate.
- At this point add sifted flour. Incorporate it gently with movements from the bottom to the top using a spoon or spatula.
- Lightly grease a round 18 – 20 cm wide baking tray and cover it with parchment paper. You can also simply grease it and dust it with flour. I used a pan with a removable bottom but a springform pan is also fine.
- Pour the batter into the pan. Bake in the static preheated oven at 165 ° C for 25 – 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven taking care not to burn yourself. Turn the cake upside down on the kitchen rack to make it come out of the pan. Discard the baking paper and let it cool down completely.
lot of love. B.
P.S. If you are looking for a super soft and fragrant cake base you should definitely try my favorite Molly cake – whipped cream sponge cake. (foto below)