This variation of Italian peperonata is a very tasty side dish composed of oven roasted bell peppers that are stewed in the pan with onion, cherry tomatoes and garlic. You can serve it both hot and cold as a side dish. It goes very well with meat and fish or by itself on top of a bruschetta with a drizzle of olive oil.
Peperonata – peppers cooked with tomatoes and sliced onions
- 3 bell peppers
- 2 spicy cherry peppers or mild chili peppers
- 5 cherry tomatoes
- 1 red onion
- 1 white onion
- 1 large garlic clove
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Instructions: Italian peperonata – peppers cooked with tomatoes and sliced onions
- Lay the peppers on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Preheat oven to 200 °C. Bake your vegetables for about 30 minutes. Flip them 2 or 3 times so that they are evenly cooked. Take the tray out from the oven and, being careful not to burn yourself, immediately cover the peppers with aluminium foil. Let them rest for 15 minutes. Remove the aluminum foil and gently peel the peppers. Remove stems and seeds and cut them into long stripes. Set aside.
- Slice onions, garlic and cut the tomatoes in half.
- Heat the pan and cook the onions and garlic with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, stirring occasionally, until translucent for 3 – 4 minutes on medium heat. Add salt, sugar and vinegar and stir to combine for about 1 minute.
- Add peppers and tomatoes. Cover the pan and cook on medium heat stirring occasionally for 8 – 10 minutes. Add more salt and pepper if necessary and serve.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you are looking for another vegetable side dish idea you should check my Vegetable side dishes section.