The cabbage stew is an excellent side dish or a vegetable second course. Perfect with meat and dumplings or paired with some crunchy bruschetta with olive oil and salt.
- 1 small cabbage
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 150 g bacon or other cold cut I used the Polish sausage
- 2 medium carrots
- 400 ml or less vegetable broth
- 0.25 cup white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp or more tomato paste
- fresh or dry dill to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
Instructions: Cabbage stew
- Discard the external leaves of the cabbage. Pass the rest of the leaves under running cold water, cut them in half, remove the ribs and cut into strips.
- Pour the oil in a pot, add previously sliced sausage or bacon cook over medium heat for a few minutes to get it crispy.
- Add the cabbage strips and the carrots previously peeled and grated. Pour in the wine, stir briefly and cook over medium heat for 1 minute. Add the broth, salt, pepper, bay leaf, a spoonful of tomato paste and minced fresh (or dry) dill to taste. Cover the pot with a lid and stew everything for about 20 minutes (or until the cabbage becomes tender)
- Taste, season with spices and tomato paste and serve it hot.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you are looking for another recipe with cabbage check my Garlicky savoy cabbage and potatoes (foto below).