Breakfast idea: simple, quick and delicious five spice waffles. The 5 spice powder (fennel, cinnamon, cloves, pepper and star anise) makes them particularly fragrant and inviting. Serve with fresh seasonal fruit, honey, maple syrup, whipped cream or dark chocolate sauce.
Five spice waffles with fresh fruit
- 100 g all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 0.5 tsp 5-spice powder I used Italian Cannamela brand
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 medium egg
- 125 ml milk
- 40 g melted butter
- fresh seasonal fruit of your choice
- honey or maple syrup or chocolate sauce optional
Instructions: Five spice waffles with fresh fruit
- For this recipe I used 5 spices blend by Cannamela. This blend of Asian origin is perfect to prepare recipes with meat, fish, spicy vegetables but also to prepare cakes and desserts. The mixture consists of fennel, cinnamon, cloves, pepper and star anise.
- Mix flour with sugar, a pinch of salt and 5 spice powder.
- Separate the egg into two different bowls. Beat the egg white until stiff then set aside.
- Whisk egg yolk with milk and melted butter. Add it to the flour mixture and stir until no traces of flour are visible.
- Add the egg white to the batter and incorporate it gently.
- Heat up your waffle maker and add a few tablespoons of the prepared batter (2 large spoons for me) and cook until your waffles become golden.
- Serve immediately with your favourite garnish. I used fresh strawberries, pineapples, apples and a few tablespoons of acacia honey.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you like sweet recipes with five spice blend maybe you should also try Five-spice and mascarpone soft croissants.