This strawberry and banana overnight oats is a great way to have a hot breakfast or prepare a light dinner. The porridge can be cooked together with cow’s milk or with the plant-based alternative. In the diet version it is possible to use water and mix it with yogurt after cooking. In addition, this oatmeal can be sweetened with sugar, honey or maple syrup. Add seeds, nuts, dried fruit or fresh fruit for some extra texture and yumminess. This recipe is super simple and guarantees creamy porridge thanks to the use of the so-called overnight method.
Strawberry and banana overnight oats
- 1 cup of rolled oats
- 2 cups of cow’s milk or plant milk or water
- 1 or more cup of cow’s milk or plant-based milk for cooking
- one small ripe banana
- 4 strawberries
- any kind of sweetener to taste
- fresh fruit walnuts, almonds, chia seeds, yogurt for garnish
Instructions strawberry and banana overnight oats
- Pour the oats into a container. At this point you can use different types of the liquid. You can use cow or goat milk, lactose-free milk or some vegetable drink (I love the version with almond milk) or simply with water. Pour your chosen liquid over the rolled oats. Set aside to cool and then place for the whole night in the fridge if you want to enjoy them the next morning. Or prepare your porridge in the morning and let it rest in the fridge to enjoy it in the evening. The oats will absorb the liquid and get puffy.
- You can also use the cold liquid and place the porridge immediately in the fridge but in this case you should usa a longer cooking time (in the next phase) otherwise your porridge will not become perfectly creamy.
- Pour the oat flakes into a saucepan and add half a glass of milk, chopped strawberries and banana. If you prefer your porridge more on the sweet note, also add some type of sweetener but I assure you that if you have used very ripe bananas your oatmeal will already be tasty enough.
- Turn on the flame and cook over very low heat, stirring occasionally. To make your oatmeal creamy you need to cook it like a risotto, adding more milk every time the porridge gets too dry. As soon as the porridge becomes creamy, turn off the heat and pour it into a bowl.
Garnish with plenty of fresh fruit such as bananas, strawberries and in my case blueberries. Add almonds and chia seeds or other nuts or seeds to your liking. Serve immediately.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you love sweet oatmeal for breakfast I also recommend my Creamy porridge with banana, tahini and honey (photo below).
Note from the author of this recipe
While you are preparing your porridge I just want to tell you that I really appreciate that you have decided to prepare my recipe. If you like it, I would be delighted and it could be a huge help for me if you follow me on my official social channel such as instagram where I publish every time a new recipe comes out. To become my follower just search for foodohfood in your instagram or click on this link: https://www.instagram.com/foodohfood/ and press Follow. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Barbara. ^_^