This homemade pan-cooked garlic flatbread is soft, easy and very flavourful. A quick bread with active dry yeast to be prepared in a few hours. It is soft thanks to the addition of milk mixed with lemon juice (curdled milk). The addition of garlic makes this bread fragrant and perfect to accompany Indian curry, stews and dishes with lots of gravy or creamy sauces. If you don’t like the taste of garlic, you can use your favorite herbs such as rosemary, parsley, turmeric or paprika.
Homemade soft garlic flatbread
- 350 g of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3.5 g active dry yeast 1 teaspoon
- 240 ml of warm water
- 1/2 teaspoon of sugar
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 50 ml of milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Instructions homemade soft garlic flatbread
- Stir milk with the lemon juice and set aside for 10 minutes to make it curdle.
- The dough of this bread is rather hydrated. If you knead by hand and you are not used to working with this type of consistency, you can help yourself by adding a maximum of 50 g more flour.
- In a bowl of the mixer stir flour and salt. Add active dry yeast and sugar. Add also minced garlic cloves, olive oil, warm water and curdled milk.
- Knead for 10 or more minutes. If you knead by hand, work for a long time until the dough becomes smooth and very elastic. Move to the slightly greased bowl, cover with the cotton cloth and leave to rise in a warm place until it doubles in volume. In my case 2 hours.
- The rising times are approximate, it can take more or less time depending on the temperature of the environment, the freshness of the yeast, the strength of the flour and other factors not related to the recipe.
Note from the author of this recipe
- While you are preparing your bread I just want to tell you that I really appreciate that you have decided to prepare my recipe. If you like it, I would be delighted and it could be a huge help for me if you follow me on my official social channel such as instagram where I publish every time a new recipe comes out. To become my follower just search for foodohfood in your instagram or click on this link: https://www.instagram.com/foodohfood/ and press Follow. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Barbara. ^_^
The cooking method
- Deflate the dough and divide it into 8 – 12 equal parts. Heat the thick-bottomed pan or a cast iron skillet without and leave it on a low heat.
- On a lightly floured surface, spread the dough using the fingertips, creating 0.5 – 1 cm high discs. Put one disc at a time on the pan and as soon as bubbles appear on the surface, 60 – 90 seconds, turn to the other side and cook again for 30 – 60 seconds. You have to experiment with the flame to get the perfect temperature. If the flame is too high it will burn the surface instead if it is too low it will make them too dry at the end of the cooking.
- Put your baked bread on a plate, or even better a basket, covered with a cotton kitchen towel. Continue in this way until you finish the dough.
To be consumed within a day.
lot of love. B.
p.s. A perfect recipe where you can use this delicious bread is my Easy and creamy chickpea curry. (foto below)