This cake with ricotta in the batter is perfect for a sweet breakfast as it is soft, delicate and fragrant. It’s one of those super quick and easy Italian recipes. It is perfect for when we have ricotta cheese that is about to expire or when we want a sweet and fun breakfast. It takes very few ingredients and even less effort to have a slice of this fluffy cake covered with powdered sugar. Obviously it is also a perfect cake for a afternoon snack as its delicate flavor is very popular with children. Absolutely a must try.
Soft vanilla and ricotta breakfast cake
- 250 g ricotta cheese at room temperature
- 200 g all-purpose flour
- 180 g or less sugar
- 50 g soft butter
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 – 3 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 16 g baking powder
Instructions soft vanilla and ricotta breakfast cake
- For this recipe all the ingredients must be at room temperature. This also includes ricotta cheese.
- Divide the whites from the yolks into two different bowls. Whip the whites until stiff and set aside.
- Add the sugar to the egg yolks and whip with the mixer. Now add the soft butter and whip until all the three ingredients combine.
- Add the ricotta cheese and vanilla extract or the seeds from a vanilla bean cut in half. Beat again to mix everything well.
- Now add the egg whites and gently incorporate them with the movements from the bottom to the top using a spoon or a silicone spatula.
- Sift all-purpose flour with the baking powder and a pinch of salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ones and mix with a spoon or a whisk until the batter is homogeneous and without visible traces of flour.
- Line the bottom of a 20 cm wide round baking pan with a circle of baking paper. Grease the edge of the pan with some butter and dust it with flour. Add the prepared batter and distribute evenly.
- Bake in a preheated static oven at 180 ° for 50 – 55 minutes. Use the toothpick test to check if the cake is ready. If you use a larger pan, reduce the minutes needed for baking.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before turning the pan upside down and removing the cake. Let it cool completely before serving.
Note from the author of this recipe
- I just want to tell you that I really appreciate that you have decided to prepare my recipe. If you like it, I would be very happy and it could be a huge help for me if you follow me on my official social channel such as instagram where I publish every time a new recipe comes out. To become my follower just search for foodohfood in your instagram or click on this link: https://www.instagram.com/foodohfood/ and press Follow. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Barbara. ^_^
Dust with plenty of powdered sugar or serve filled with jam or hazelnut cream. Keep at room temperature covered with a cotton cloth.
lot of love. B
p.s. If you like this recipe for a soft cake, check out another super easy recipe: Easy and soft chocolate and coconut sheet cake (photo below).