A thick and comforting potato, broccoli and cheese soup that will warm you up during the cold winter days. The addition of the bechamel sauce and the cheese makes this vegetable soup even more creamy.
Creamy and comforting potato, broccoli and cheese soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 1 small carrot
- 1 garlic clove
- 600 g potato
- 200 g broccoli
- 1 liter vegetable broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- 5 fresh sage leaves optional
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 50 g butter
- 50 g all-purpose flour
- 600 ml milk
- grated cheese of your choice to taste I used Pecorino and cheddar
Instructions: Creamy and comforting potato, broccoli and cheese soup
- Instructions below.In a large pot heat the oil. Add chopped carrot and onion and cook over medium heat for 3 – 4 minutes, stirring often. Add minced garlic and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add potatoes that has been cut into small pieces, the broccoli florets and stir.
- Cover with vegetable broth, add a pinch of salt, pepper, nutmeg and a few fresh sage leaves. Cover with a lid and bring to a boil. Lift the lid and cook over medium heat for another 20 minutes or until the potatoes have become very soft.
- While the soup is cooking, prepare the sauce. In a saucepan, melt the butter. Add the flour and mix well. Continue to cook over medium heat – low for another 2 minutes being careful not to burn the mixture. Begin to add the milk, stirring well each time. I recommend using the whisk to make sure that you remove all the lumps of flour. When all the milk is combined, add a pinch of salt and pepper and cook over medium – low heat for another 5 minutes.
- Add the sauce to the soup and stir well. Cook for another few minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Before serving, add a handful of grated cheese and stir.
Serve hot and store in the fridge for 3 days.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you are looking for another rich soup with potatoes check my Creamy turmeric, potato and chickpea soup. (foto below)